After obtaining a machine with MacOS Lion in it, here are the applications that look absolutely mandatory. This list is more a memo than anything, but you could find it useful.
- ClamXav, a free open-source antivirus. This can be downloaded from the AppleStore. Scans are light and quick.
- LibreOffice, great free ressource for documentation, and has no Oracle logo included with it.
- Xcode, a free development kit for Mac applications. It includes a gcc compiler, and can be found in the AppleStore.
- iterm(2), alternative for terminal knowing that the default terminal in MacOS is a pain to use. iterm is not fully compatible with MacOSX Lion but iterm2 can be a solution.
- vlc, a video viewer ressource. I’m with it for a couple of years, and it has always been astonishing light and fast.
- MacPorts, an alternative way to manage packages with command line.
- Minecraft, no comments on this one…
And that’s all…